Sunday 27 August 2017

BANANA COLADA



Here's a little something to help celebrate the Bank Holiday weekend! It's been a scorcher here in south-west England today and we've spent the day out in the garden - my husband even brought out the barbecue for what I think was only the second time this year. And when you're relaxing in the great outdoors what can be better to cool you down and chill you out than a cool, refreshing cocktail?

This recipe was inspired by a cocktail I enjoyed on my honeymoon in the Caribbean. It's basically just a PiƱa Colada blended with banana but it must have been good because I can still remember the taste now, 12 years later! Don't you just love food memories like that?

I think the original recipe used coconut cream so I've attempted to slim it down a little by using a combination of reduced-fat coconut milk and coconut water. The great thing about it is that the kids (or any non-drinkers) don't have to feel left out - simply leave out the rum you're left with a delicious non-alcoholic smoothie. I always add the rum last anyway so I can remove a portion for the kids first, if they want some (they're not big smoothie drinkers but they seem to always want a taste of any smoothies I make).


Banana Colada

Serves 2

1 large banana
160g frozen pineapple chunks
200ml reduced-fat coconut milk
200ml coconut water
50ml coconut-flavoured white rum (optional)
desiccated coconut, to decorate

Put the banana and pineapple in a blender with the coconut milk and coconut water and process until smooth. Add the rum, if using, and process briefly. Pour into glasses, sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and serve.


Tips
  • I used frozen pineapple in this recipe because I like to use at least one frozen ingredient in a smoothie or cocktail to make it nice and cold. Frozen pineapple is also super convenient as it spares you from having to prepare a fresh pineapple, which can be messy and time-consuming. That said, I've only recently discovered frozen pineapple in the supermarket so if yours doesn't stock it, there's no reason why you couldn't use fresh, or even tinned, pineapple.
  • If you're using frozen fruit, please be aware that not all blenders will be able to cope with rock solid ingredients. Ideally, you need to use a blender with a powerful motor that's capable of crushing ice - this has the advantage of giving the finished smoothie a velvety-smooth finish too. Alternatively, allow the frozen ingredients to partially defrost before blending them.

No comments: