Friday 27 January 2017

HOME-MADE FAJITA SPICE MIX


For many years, I used a store-bought fajita spice mix whenever I made fajitas. It was pretty tasty, but I worry about salt content when it's food I'm giving to my kids so I decided to try making my own. It took a few attempts, but I'm really happy with this version and I won't be going back to buying expensive ready-mixed sachets. Other than the garlic and onion granules, I already had all the ingredients I needed for this in my cupboard.

I tried making this without any salt all but it lacked the flavour punch it needed. I don't think one teaspoon of salt is too bad though, not when you consider that this amount of spice is enough to flavour the filling for eight tortilla wraps.

Home-made Fajita Spice Mix

Makes about 35g/4 tbsp
1 tbsp mild chilli powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried chilli flakes

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a small airtight container until ready to use.

Tips
  • For a recipe using this spice mix, follow this link to my Chicken Fajitas recipe.
  • You could easily double or treble the recipe so you don't have to mix the spices each time you make fajitas.
  • This mix is fairly kid-friendly in terms of its spiciness, but could easily be pepped up by using hot chilli powder or increasing the amount of chilli flakes.   

No comments: