Tuesday 6 September 2016

COURGETTE, PEA & FETA FRITTATA

I wouldn’t consider myself a fussy person (when it comes to food anyway) but I’ll admit that I’m not a huge fan of eggs. It’s not the egg per se, more the yolk (I know, I know - that’s supposed to be the best bit!) and I need my eggs to be cooked all the way through or it makes me feel quite queasy. Weird, eh? That’s what’s so great – in my eyes at least – about frittatas. Unlike with an omelette, which can be a bit gelatinous for my liking, when you make a frittata you place the frying pan under the grill to finish it off so the eggs are guaranteed to be fully cooked.
I’ve been eating frittatas for lunch quite often recently. They’re pretty healthy, very filling and a great way to use up odds and ends of ingredients. I also like the fact that they’re a one-pot meal – I have enough washing up to do come dinnertime without adding to the pile!
This version with feta, courgette and peas is one of my favourites – the salty feta adds a great hit of flavour. If I have a bag of salad leaves in the fridge (and they haven’t gone slimy yet), I’ll pop a handful of those to the top of the frittata to add to the veg count.
It's important to use the right size of frying pan for this recipe - too big and the egg mixture won't cover all the vegetables. The one I use has a diameter of 20cm.






Courgette, pea & feta frittata

Serves 1  
1 tsp olive oil
½ large courgette, diced
2 spring onions, sliced
Small handful of frozen peas
3 large eggs
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint (or ½ tsp dried mint)
45g vegetarian feta cheese, cut into small cubes
Handful of watercress or other salad leaves, to serve



Heat the oil over a medium heat in a small ovenproof frying pan. Add the courgette to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the courgette has started to brown at the edges. Add the spring onions and peas and cook for a further minute. Meanwhile, preheat the grill.  

Crack the eggs into a jug and add the milk and mint. Beat well, then gently stir in the feta cheese. Pour the egg mixture into the frying pan and shake so it covers all the vegetables and the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Continue cooking until the underside of the frittata is brown and set, then place the frying pan under the preheated grill.  Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the top of the frittata is golden and bubbling. Slide out of the frying pan onto a plate. Cut the frittata into wedges and top with the watercress leaves. Eat!

No comments: